– PRISM, by An van. Dienderen, Rosine Mbakam and Eléonore Yameogo selected for the International Competition at ARKIPEL Jakarta International Documentary and Experimental Film Festival 2022
– PRISM, by An van. Dienderen, Rosine Mbakam and Eléonore Yameogo selected at Ji.Hlava Documentary Filmfestival for the section ‘Constellations’
– PRISM, by An van. Dienderen, Rosine Mbakam and Eléonore Yameogo received a Special Mention in the Thematic Competition at the 5th edition of Porto Femme International Film Festival.
– PRISM, by An van. Dienderen, Rosine Mbakam and Eléonore Yameogo selected at Festival International du Film de Femmes de Salé (Maroc)
– PRISM, by An van. Dienderen, Rosine Mbakam and Eléonore Yameogo selected at the Black Star International Film Festival in Accra (Ghana)
– PRISM, by An van. Dienderen, Rosine Mbakam and Eléonore Yameogo is screened at Vilnius National museum and Seoul International Women’s film Festival
– PRISM, by An van. Dienderen, Rosine Mbakam and Eléonore Yameogo is screened at Cinéma du Réel, Paris, in Centre Pompidou
– PRISM, by An van. Dienderen, Rosine Mbakam and Eléonore Yameogo is screened at The Cinematèque, Vancouver (Canada)
– PRISM, by An van. Dienderen, Rosine Mbakam and Eléonore Yameogo is positively reviewed by various media: The New York Times, Indiewire, Women & Hollywood, Awards watch, Rotten Tomatoes, The International Cinephile Society,..
– PRISM, by An van. Dienderen, Rosine Mbakam and Eléonore Yameogo has its Belgian premiere in Beursschouwburg
– PRISM, by An van. Dienderen, Rosine Mbakam and Eléonore Yameogo starts its theatrical tour in the USA: New York, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Chicago..
– PRISM, the film that An van. Dienderen made with Rosine Mbakam and Eléonore Yameogo will have its World Premiere at the 59th New York Film festival!
Filmmaker An van. Dienderen works at the intersection between documentary, anthropology and visual arts. While exploring various documentary strategies and the anthropological relation between self and other, she also investigates the medium of film in a self-reflective way. She investigates the opposition of fact and fiction, imagination and observation, representation and experience, using the importance of the image in our multicultural society as a point of departure. Her work shows the absurd, poetic, and often touching stories that these oppositions can hold in everyday life. (Source: Contour 7)
She graduated in audiovisual arts (Sint-Lukas, Brussels), obtained a PhD in Comparative Cultural Sciences (Ghent University), and was a visiting scholar at UC Berkeley with Trinh Minh-ha. She made several documentaries screened worldwide, awarded with (inter)national prizes. Films include Visitors of the Night (’98), Site (’00), Tu ne verras pas Verapaz (’02), The Ephemerist (’05) Patrasche, a Dog of Flanders – Made in Japan (’08), Cherry Blossoms (’12), Letter Home (’15), Lili (’15), PRISM (’21) and KASTOM (forthcoming). She regularly publishes on documentary & visual/performative anthropology and she is a lecturer and artistic researcher at the School of Arts Ghent, where she conducts several research projects: You Turn Me: Similarities and differences in art and anthropology (2008-2015), China Girls and the Color Genie: a multichronotopic research (2015-2019), White-centricity challenged through co-creation (2019-ongoing).
Her work has been shown on the New York film festival, FID Marseille, DocFest Sheffield, Videonale Bonn, International Filmfestival Rotterdam, BFI festival London, 25 FPS Festival Zagreb, Yerba Buena Center San Fransisco, SCCA Center for Contemporary Art Ljublijana, Contemporary Art Biennale Talinn, Contour 7, MACRO – Museo d’Arte Contemporanea Roma, Belluard Festival (Fribourg), Margaret Mead Film and Video festival (New York), DMZ Korea International documentary festival, International Short film Festival Oberhausen, FIDOCS Festival Internacional de Documentales de Santiago, Museum of Contemporary Arts Athens, Bienal de la Imagen en Movimiento Buenos Aires, Courtisane, Beursschouwburg, MuZee Ostend, KANAL, FoMu, etc and is represented by Argos, Brussels; Women make Movies, NY and Icarusfilms, NY.
Together with theatre maker Thomas Bellinck and photographers Max Pinckers and Michiel Decleene she founded The School of Speculative Documentary (2018-ongoing). Filmmaker Rosine Mbakam and artist Jelena Juresa are members. She initiated the international art workspace SoundImageCulture (2006-ongoing) with Laurent Van Lancker, Eric Pauwels, Didier Volckaert, Rudi Maerten and Reinhart Cosaert. Later on Els Opsomer, Mary Jiminez, Patrick Codenys, Susanne Weck, Effi&Amir and many others joined. She initiated the master class & research group Expanded Documentary (2012) with Sarah Vanagt, Jasmina Fekovic, Ben Russell and Laurent Van Lancker. With Sarah Vanagt and Jasmina Fekovic she curated the program DocHouse at Beursschouwburg, Brussels (2008-2010). She started the workshops Visual Anthropology (1996 – 2006) at Ghent University & Luka, School of Arts, Brussels: with Rik Pinxten, Rob Rombout, Didier Volckaert, Eric Pauwels, Reinhart Cosaert, Rudi Maerten en Laurent Van Lancker. Together with Didier Volckaert she started the production company Elektrischer Schnellseher (1999 – ongoing). She curated several art & film programs with Cis Bierinckx.