– ‘Patrasche a dog of Flanders’ will be screened at Cartoon’s Antwerp.
– An van Dienderen and Elly Van Eeghem are speakers at CityLab VI: City Aesthetics and Citizenship, Antwerp!
– ‘Visitors of the Night’ is screened at Cinematek Brussels, together with films by Laurent Van Lancker and Hito Steyerl!
– ‘Yzer’ from 1994 (!) is part of the exhibition ‘Resolved desires. Six video artworks explore a unified Europe’ in De Brakke Grond, Amsterdam! Till 4 March!
– The article on the film “Lili’ written by An van. Dienderen is published by Critical Arts, Journal on South-North Cultural and Media Studies !
Filmmaker An van. Dienderen works at the intersection between documentary, anthropology and visual arts. While exploring various documentary strategies and the anthropological relation between self and other, she also investigates the medium of film in a self-reflective way. She investigates the opposition of fact and fiction, imagination and observation, representation and experience, using the importance of the image in our multicultural society as a point of departure. Her work shows the absurd, poetic, and often touching stories that these oppositions can hold in everyday life. (Source Contour7)
She graduated in audiovisual arts (Sint-Lukas, Brussels), obtained a PhD in Comparative Cultural Sciences (Ghent University), and was a visiting scholar at UC Berkeley. She made several documentaries screened worldwide, awarded with (inter)national prizes. Films include Visitors of the Night (’98), Site (’00), Tu ne verras pas Verapaz (’02), The Ephemerist (’05) Patrasche, a Dog of Flanders – Made in Japan (’08), Cherry Blossoms (’12), Letter Home (’15) and Lili (’15). She regularly publishes on visual/performative anthropology, is a lecturer and artistic researcher at the School of Arts Ghent, and initiated the international art workspace SoundImageCulture and productioncompany Elektrischer schnellseher. Her work has been shown on the Margaret Mead Film and Video festival (New York), FID Marseille, DocFest Sheffield, Belluard Festival (Fribourg), DMZ Korea International documentary festival, International Short film Festival Oberhausen, FIDOCS, Festival Internacional de Documentales de Santiago, International Filmfestival Rotterdam, etc and is represented by argos. Films, teasers and interviews: on vimeo