–’Lili’ is part of the program: Poltically today! At the Bienal de la Imagen en Movimiento, Buenos Aires!
– An van. Dienderen is amongst the collaborators of ‘Metalogues’, a collaborative film by Fiamma Montezomolo currently at show in Headlands Center of the Arts San Fransisco!
– ‘Letter Home’ is part of the exposition ‘Sensations’ (Prikkels) at the Dr. Guislain museum in Gent till May 25!
– The article “Revisiting the ethnographic turn in contemporary art’ that An van. Dienderen wrote in 2013 with Kris Rutten and Ronald Soetaert is republished in the book “Curating, Research and the Political” edited by Katerina Gregos. A bonus is that it is now also translated in Basque and Spanish!
– An van Dienderen and Elly Van Eeghem are speakers at CityLab VI: City Aesthetics and Citizenship, Antwerp!
– ‘Visitors of the Night’ is screened at Cinematek Brussels, together with films by Laurent Van Lancker and Hito Steyerl!
Filmmaker An van. Dienderen works at the intersection between documentary, anthropology and visual arts. While exploring various documentary strategies and the anthropological relation between self and other, she also investigates the medium of film in a self-reflective way. She investigates the opposition of fact and fiction, imagination and observation, representation and experience, using the importance of the image in our multicultural society as a point of departure. Her work shows the absurd, poetic, and often touching stories that these oppositions can hold in everyday life. (Source Contour7)
She graduated in audiovisual arts (Sint-Lukas, Brussels), obtained a PhD in Comparative Cultural Sciences (Ghent University), and was a visiting scholar at UC Berkeley. She made several documentaries screened worldwide, awarded with (inter)national prizes. Films include Visitors of the Night (’98), Site (’00), Tu ne verras pas Verapaz (’02), The Ephemerist (’05) Patrasche, a Dog of Flanders – Made in Japan (’08), Cherry Blossoms (’12), Letter Home (’15) and Lili (’15). She regularly publishes on visual/performative anthropology, is a lecturer and artistic researcher at the School of Arts Ghent, and initiated the international art workspace SoundImageCulture and productioncompany Elektrischer schnellseher. Her work has been shown on the Margaret Mead Film and Video festival (New York), FID Marseille, DocFest Sheffield, Belluard Festival (Fribourg), DMZ Korea International documentary festival, International Short film Festival Oberhausen, FIDOCS, Festival Internacional de Documentales de Santiago, International Filmfestival Rotterdam, etc and is represented by argos. Films, teasers and interviews: on vimeo