Chinese, French, English
Didier Volckaert and An van. Dienderen
Didier Volckaert, Rudi Maerten
Sophimages, desire productions and TouMouv asbl.
Women Make Movies, New York.
The failures of the ethnographic endeavor to discover “reality” are revealed in this expository and experimental film. The narrator-ethnographer embarks on an expedition to encounter the Mosuo, an isolated and matrilinear tribe in the mountains of South West China. Their society is built on the principle of the axia-relationship, ties between ‘visitors of the night.’ This means that a man only stays in his wife’s house at night and during the day he works for the benefit of his grandmother. Since men and women do not have economical obligations, their unique, polyandric relationships are based on love only. Recently due to funding by the Han government, The Lugu region has turned into a major touristic area, where tradition and modernity clash — particularly when the polyandry of the Mosuo is seen as prostitution by outsiders. Van Dienderen, a visual anthropologist, playfully reveals the distance between textual knowledge and the experience of a cinematographic journey in a thoughtful and fascinating documentary. (Source: WomenMakeMovies, NY)
Watch the film here.
– GNT Channel television Prize for Language Renewal- Brazilië
– Margaret Mead Film en video festival Award
– 'Visitors of the Night' is permanently part of the collection of Flemish museums
– 10/09 – 20/11/2011 Netwerk, center for contemporary arts Aalst (BE) in the expo 'Poetics of Observation, SIC'
– Elles tournent!’ Festival Brussels (BE)
– B-docs, Luik (BE)
– Extrapool Nijmegen (NL)
– Documentary reframed, Paved Arts, Saskatoon (curator Maureen Latta) (CA)
– Cinema Nova Brussels (BE)
– S.M.A.K. Museum of Contemporary Art Gent (BE)
– Rio de Janeiro Brasilia (BR)
– Albion College (US)
– Marlboro College (US)
– Donell Public Library NY (US)
– Margaret Mead festival, New York (US)
– Pacific Film Archive Berkeley (US)
– Belluard Festival Fribourg Switzerland (CH)
– Filmplateau, Gent (BE)
– Beursschouwburg, Brussels (BE)
– Viewpoint, Gent (BE)
– Limelight, Kortrijk (BE)